Saturday 29 August 2015

Music I've been listening to

Here's a roundup of some things I've been listening to this month(ish) and new bands I've come across (new to me anyway!).

Muse - Drones (album)

I've been a long time Muse lover, so I was super excited when I heard they were releasing a new album this year.  There is no song I dislike on Drones, my ears were more and more pleased with each song.  I was pleasantly surprised by the development of Muse's style, which you can hear in tracks like Defector (video below).  But the trademark fingertapping and solos are still there and superb as ever.




Led Zeppelin - D'yer Mak'er (from the album Houses of the Holy)

Led's always been one of those bands I never looked into properly when I was younger, for some reason.  I'm getting into them more now, after learning the intro to Babe I'm Gonna Leave You on the guitar.

I love D'yer Mak'er because it's got such a chilled vibe to it.  I can just imagine sipping cocktails on some Caribbean beach and dancing to it.  I'm not sure if that was the intention or if anyone will get what I mean, but that's what I feel anyway!  So I play it to make me feel happy and relaxed.





The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Purple Haze (from the album Are You Experienced?)

I've admired Hendrix's guitar playing for a long time, but I've really been appreciating it more since focusing on learning the electric guitar and having lessons.  Purple Haze is one of the songs I've been learning a bit of.  This song has such a cool, somewhat dark sound to it.  It fascinates me because I think it sounds quite grungey, which is really interesting since that type of sound gained popularity so many years later.




The Glitch Mob - Drink the Sea (album)

I'm not typically into electronic music, but I came across this somewhere - I can't remember where - and I just really liked it.  I found that it's good to have on in the background if you need to concentrate, because it helps me focus for some reason.  It's quite ethereal, and this mixed with the deeper tones gives an interesting sound.

I also love the artwork on this album.  Coincidentally, I have the geometric triangle design on my phone background, which I set before I'd come across this! Weird!






Hey Violet - Smash Into You (from the I Can Feel It EP)

Again, this isn't something I would normally listen to, but I came across Hey Violet, who just seem a bundle of cuteness and fun.  I will admit, I wasn't sure if it was going to be something rude from the title! But I like this song because it's a feel good, upbeat tune. I'm pretty excited to see how Hey Violet are going to progress.



|*|

Written by Hayley





No comments:

Post a Comment